Any kitchen remodeling project should focus not just on what will give you outstanding functionality and an attractive appearance now, but also on including design elements that will future-proof your kitchen so it doesn’t quickly go out of style. Considering the prominent position cabinets have in terms of your kitchen design, they should be one of your main areas of focus when designing a kitchen that will stand the test of time stylistically.
Perhaps the best way to give yourself a timeless kitchen design is to incorporate Shaker cabinets. Shaker cabinets are a timeless kitchen trend in Lancaster, CA and elsewhere. Named after the religious group, the Shakers created this unmistakable style in the 18th century and it remains highly sought after today.
Here are just a few characteristics associated with Shaker cabinets and why they’re a great choice for any kitchen remodel:
- Simplicity: The defining characteristic of Shaker cabinets is simplicity. Their clean, simple construction makes them quite aesthetically pleasing. They feature a simple frame and panel construction known as rail and stile, in which a flat center panel is recessed and surrounded by a frame that does not have any ornamentation or detail work. The hinges are hidden to create a seamless appearance.
- Versatility: One of the biggest benefits of Shaker cabinets is their versatility. You can implement them into kitchens of all styles and they will fit in well. Traditional kitchens usually have a higher level of ornamentation with luxury countertops, and the clean lines of Shaker cabinets will blend in well. They’ll also work with modern kitchens, which focus on delivering a streamlined, simple design, and transitional kitchens, which are a balance of modern and traditional design elements.
- Hardware: Because Shaker cabinets are so simple, you can choose many different types of hardware to pair with them and just about all of them will work. The more sophisticated and ornamental the cabinets, the harder it can be to find hardware, so Shaker cabinets make it easy. Just about any type of knob or pull with just about any type of finish will work—think of your Shaker cabinets as a blank canvas to work with for your pulls and knobs.
- Paint or stain: You can create Shaker cabinets that look great either painted or stained. White Shaker cabinets will never go out of style and give you a classic look that will open up your space. You can stain the wood to give a more natural appearance, but just make sure you select a timeless style of stain—the “honey oak” of the ‘80s and ‘90s has long since worn out its welcome.
- Affordability: Shaker cabinets are generally more affordable than other, more ornate options because of their simplicity of design and construction. You can find them pre-assembled or ready to assemble, but even custom options will be cheaper than most other types of custom cabinetry.
For more information about the benefits of Shaker cabinets and the Shaker kitchen cabinet options you have available to you in Lancaster, CA, contact JB Construction today.